July 13, 2016
I can't take it anymore and I have to speak out:
The week of July 4, 2016 is a week that will live in infamy for this decade with the deaths of Alton Sterling, Philando Castile, and five Dallas police officers on consecutive days. Out of sheer frustration, I posted my wish for good people of all cultures to unite on my Facebook page but nothing beats saying the words.
It is my hope that you will join me in being a solution to our problem. Check out some of these events that brought people in the community together with law enforcement:
- Athens, Ga. Alpha Phi Alpha alumni chapter, local Masonic lodge, and NAACP branch sponsor "Black Lives Matter...A Conversation with Law Enforcement and Community Leaders"
- Southern California "Youth and the Law" forum sponsored by Kappa Alpha Psi alumni, NOBLE chapters and the Associated Students Organization of Southwest College
- Dover Omega Psi Phi alumni chapter unites with Dover Police Department, Whatcoat United Methodist Church, the Interdenominational Ministerial Alliance of Dover, the National Organization Of Black Law Enforcement Executives, and members of the New Castle County, Wilmington, and Delaware State Police Departments for law enforcement-community forums
- Indianapolis Iota Phi Theta alumni chapter teams up with Indy area metro police for educational forum
- Northwest Missouri State Phi Beta Sigma chapter teams up with university police department to bridge gap between police and students
Main image: Richmond Police Chief Chris Magnus and Black Lives Matter rally participant, courtesy of Richmond Pulse