August 14, 2016
WRITE TO BEAR ALMS
August is Black Philanthropy Month so we thought about a philanthropist whose donations made waves in July and August 2016--Michael Jordan. Some folks seem pretty vocal about the merits of his $1 million donations each to the International Association of the Chiefs of Police's Institute for Community-Police Relations and the NAACP Legal Defense Fund. They have especially questioned his $5 million donation to the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture.
Well, dang, whose donation is it, anyway???
That's why it's cool to have an expert like Halima Leak Francis! In part one, she gives great insight about understanding how philanthropists give and what it means to give strategically.
By the way, check out more about fundraising and philanthropy on Halima's "Write to Bear Alms" segment and my interview with her for "The HBCU Lifestyle Podcast":
- 001 | 'Write to Bear Alms' with Halima
- 004 | Mental Health Benefits of Giving
- 006 | Understanding Black Philanthropy
- 008 | Causes That Will Impact Society
- 010 | Giving Cancer a Workout
- 013 | Halima's Philanthropic Field Trip
- 015 | Why Halima Isn't a 'Make It Rain' Fundraiser
- 017 | Charitable Giving, the Career That Gives Back
- 019 | It's All Love for Binta Brown
- HL 028 | Fundraising Tips for (HBCU) Alumni Associations